Antifreeze Poisoning in Dogs

Antifreeze poison is one of the most common types of poisoning in pets and typically occurs when the liquid leaks from car radiators. Dogs are attracted to the taste of the antifreeze and will lick it off the ground or out of puddles.

A small amount of antifreeze can cause fatal damage. The toxin is called ethylene glycol and is found in several products. Contact your veterinary immediately if you suspect your pet has ingested a product containing the toxin.

Preventing antifreeze poisoning in your pet:

  • Look for antifreeze products containing the safer propylene glycol.
  • Keep antifreeze containers tightly closed and stored out of reach.
  • Dispose of empty or used antifreeze containers properly.
  • Be careful not to spill antifreeze, and if you do, clean it up immediately. Check your car radiator regularly and repair leaks right away.
  • Don’t let your pet roam unsupervised where he may have access to antifreeze.
  • Don’t let your dog drink out of puddles.

ff70f688461ade81a522b8c1fa5ea917

 

Set up your FREE consultation today. Check out our Facebook page at http://www.facebook.com/caseyraystl