Preparing for the Holidays
With the holidays just around the corner, here’s a few things you can do to prepare your dog for the festivities!
- Make sure to include exercise time for your dog. Without the proper amount of exercise, your dog will likely release all of that pent up energy in ways you don’t approve of. Mental exercise can also do wonders! Try incorporating toys and games into your training routine to keep your dog mentally satisfied as well.
- Know your dog. Consider if your dog has the proper manners to join the party or if your dog really enjoys going to new places and meeting new people. Some dogs prefer the quiet at home and would be better off left behind or put up in a bedroom while guests are over.
- Training. Practice your obedience and use it! The Place command is awesome during busy dinner parties and holidays because it allows your dog to be apart of the activities without being in the way or causing trouble.
- Provide your dog with a quiet place to get away from the commotion. While Place can also be used as this, providing a crate or bedroom for your dog to go to if he becomes overwhelmed is a great idea.
- Don’t forget to dog proof. Some holiday plants and decorations can be harmful to dogs so just be sure to keep out of reach. Same goes for table scraps, be careful that your guests aren’t loading your dog up on unhealthy food that might upset his stomach later!
Happy holidays and happy training!
Set up your free consultation today. Check out our Facebook page at http://www.facebook.com/caseyraystl